Wednesday, January 27, 2010

As most of you probably know, I have an absolute fascination with Nutrition. Initially this interest came from my love for food, but at the same time, as much as I hate to admit it, having the desire to improve my figure. :) Recently this passion for nutrition has expanded into something larger. Even though I do find it extremely important to have a healthy body weight, I am now realizing also the great effects that food has on maintaining our bodies as a whole, and I want to share what I have learned and what I am continuing to learn with others.
I am currently taking a nutrition and food science class at USU, so this information that I'm sharing are facts based on science. Which, if you ask me, is the most reliable source of all.
I'm learning a lot, so I obviously won't be able to share everything with you all at once. I've considered starting a blog just about Nutrition info (including facts, tips, recipes, etc.), but I'm clearly having a hard time keeping up with this one, so we'll have to see. :)


Here's what I have to share today:
You all know I absolutely LOVE sugar! My consumption of sugar usually ends with an after- feeling of regret and disappointment in myself for not having more self control. Trust me, it's been an endless battle for years. I've always perceived sugar to be a bad thing. A while ago, I did a little research about sugar and the effects it can have on your body. I wanted to find reasons for why I should stop eating sugar. And just so you know, none of them worked. :) I discovered there are many effects that sugar can have on your body, such as causing diabetes or hypoglycemia, weight gain, suppressing your immune system, etc. However, what I've recently learned is that all of these are effects are usually the result in an OVER-consumption of sugar. The only exception to these effects would be genetics. The key to this is realizing that THERE ARE NO BAD FOODS, JUST BAD HABITS! It's so important that we develop a healthy relationship with food. Remember the old saying, "moderation in ALL things"! We need to realize that eating too much of any one-kind of food is bad for our bodies...even to many fruits and veggies. In class, we learned about what we call the "90/10 RULE." If we eat nutritious foods 90% of the time, it allows us to have room for 10% of what we call discretionary calories (the calories left over after consuming enough nutritious foods to meet all of our nutrient requirements for the day). Discretionary calories would include foods high in fat and in sugar. Believe it or not, this 90/10 Rule can even work when trying to lose weight, just limit portions.
I could go on and on about this, but the point I'm trying to get across is it's OK to eat sugar. Yeah!!! So next time you're craving sugar, don't beat yourself up about it, just enjoy it! Embrace it's goodness! And the hard part. . . DON'T OVER-DO IT! Remember that PORTION CONTROL is the key!

9 comments:

  1. so I can eat sugar??? yahoo! ok ok in moderation. thats the hard part. But I really am going to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing. i love it. at least you learned something at usu!haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel - I was starting to feel very guilty reading this until the very end when you (queen of nutrition) said sugar was OK. Whew. I was about to have the mortuary come get me cause I would have died!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. Keep sharing the tips, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a nutrition blog would rock! You know though. So the thing is I lost my key...I have no limit when it comes to sugar. It's such a sad story. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen!!!!! The beginning part can often bring on eating disorders- to try to turn it around- that's what you have to learn to do is enjoy all foods but be in tune to your body and what it needs... And moderation. Amen amen amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, I love your blog- and totally think you should start a nutrition blogspot! It was so fun to run into you guys-you need to come down to Provo more often! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ate two pieces of cake and a thin mint cookie. Unfortunately, I think that's 10% for a month's worth, but I do feel better after reading your post. Keep the info coming!

    ReplyDelete